Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Blue-Juke

So, the other day, my co-worker Johnathan walks in, obviously frustrated, and says
"We need to make a word for when you think someone is talking to you, but then you realize they're talking to someone else on their Bluetooth!"
Throughout the day he and I were both pondering on the best term we could invent. Some of his original ideas were "Bloothed" or "Blaked" short versions of Bluetoothed, or Bluetooth-Faked. After he presented his ideas to me I threw out some ideas of my own and together we decided on the term:

Blue-Juked!

Juked, of course meaning to be faked out or outmaneuvered in sports like basketball and soccer. Usage would go something like this:
Person A: "Oh, man! The most annoying thing just happened!"
Person B: "What's that?"
Person A: "I totally just got blue-juked!"

or

Person A: "How can I help you?"
Person B: "It's okay, I'm fine."
Person A: "Alright, I'll transfer you now. Please hold."
Person B: "Huh? Are you talking to me?"
Person A: "Oh, sorry, I was accidentally blue-juking you."

One doesn't have to be using a Bluetooth headset for this term to apply. Anytime anyone is on any sort of headset or hands free device, including speakerphone in rare cases, in which passers by may not realize the user is actually on the phone or otherwise engaged in conversation while appearing to be talking to those around them or to themselves.
Even though this term is the product of hard work and obvious genius, anyone is free to use this term at their leisure. You're welcome.

2 comments:

Mom said...

How about blooked? It's only one syllable, but doesn't sound as cool, I guess.

Nice to see you're using your blog again. I forgot how cool the banner is!

Heather said...

Thanks! You're brilliant.