Monday, May 3, 2010

New Job!

A week or so ago, a friend of mine called me up, knowing I was looking for work. He informed me that since he was leaving for his mission, his job would be available. I followed that lead and found myself employed at a Cardiovascular Clinic as a medical record office worker.

I've very grateful for this job but it is very boring. I'm in charge of taking patients' charts that are requested by doctors in other clinics, copying parts of them, re-sorting them, and stashing the originals away never to be seen again. I perform this task over and over again each day.

This week, to make things more interesting, I proposed a competition with one of my co-workers, Annette. She does the same thing I do, but a little more, and she works more hours than I do. The challenge is to see who, between the two of us, can copy more charts by the end of this week. We each have our strategies and edges. I am clearly at a disadvantage, being "the new guy" whereas Annette has been doing this for years. She also has more hours than I do to complete this task (10 more hours this week, to be exact!). But this is ALL I do and she has various tasks to complete.

As of my lunch break today, I am at 18 charts while Annette is at 10. But the day is only half over and it is only Monday. Much too soon to tell who the winner will be. As extra incentives, we have agreed that whomever is in the lead gets to decide what music to listen to, which means we're listening to my Death Cab for Cutie station on Pandora. Also, the loser at the end of the week must purchase for the winner an inexpensive candy item of the winner's choosing. I'm looking forward to my bag of peanut M&Ms.

1 comment:

Heather said...

Just when I'd written off your blog as dead, I find that not only are you posting, but you are advertising too. Hey, if it gets you to write more often, it's a good thing in my book. It's also a good thing if it gets you some dough.

Oh, and way to turn a boring job into one that's slightly less boring. :) Who won?